Saturday, October 2, 2010

AFL: It's just a game of sport

It's not the end of the world if Collingwood wins the Grand Final folks, the planet's still spinning last time I checked. I've spent most of the year trying to work out this Collingwood supporter hate, because I don't know any Collingwood supporters like that. In fact, the people I know who are like that are from other clubs. And my mum goes for the pies in an Essendon dominated household, so when I say I sort of go for them, people treat me as if I'm a Nazi sympathiser. It's a fucking game. And I was slightly offended by all the anti-Collingwood groups on facebook, but I'm just over it. I think the main problem I have is that people aren't supporting the Saints, just that they're against Collingwood. IMO, the team that wins the Premiership deserves to, end of story. I just wish there was more goodwill.

All this being said, I think possibly one of the reasons that I sympathise is because I was in the most hated house in both primary and secondary school, through no fault of my own. I was just placed there because my sister was. It's not like she got to choose her house.

The other thing I have a problem with at the moment is professional football players' salaries. Gary Ablett gets something like 1.5 million a year at the Gold Coast. How can people justify spending that much money on an athlete, who most likely makes less of a contribution to society than teachers? I remember there was a teacher's strike and our beloved (cough) ex-PM John Howard said that they needed to be in schools. Then fucking pay them more (yes I'm just angry today), because if they're so valuable, they deserve to be paid more, then they wouldn't have to go on strike. I know this is contentious because we'd have to raise taxes so the government can pay them more. All this being said, I think Chris Judd, who won the Brownlow this year has the right idea about everything:


And that's all for today, otherwise I'll start complaining about things I shouldn't

No comments:

Post a Comment